Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Conference Reflection

When starting my essay, there was a lot to think about before writing. Something that I chose to do, was first start writing about my topic with the new thoughts and ideas that I had, but eventually I decided to see what I had written and put in previous ideas that I had before when we had the other required papers to write. I went into these other papers and incorporated that writing into my essay. This I think helped me because it gave me previous information that I was able to relate with my paper. In general, just hearing from other people, and seeing other papers helped me narrow down what I needed to do.

With “face-to-face” conferences I liked the idea of having more than two people comment on my work. I felt that it wasn’t so much as people agreeing with each other, well it was, but what I mean is that online people seem to repeat what the first person said in front of them. In the conferences though, people did that, but each brought different ideas to the table, making it easier to have a broad range of options, but at the same time knowing what you should have to be able to do in order to have a much better paper in the end. Also with a group of people it is easier to get a feel of what people are trying to say to help you. Sometimes reading comments is hard because they are not as clear as you want them to be, making it difficult to cope with and use when editing or revising your paper.

One thing that I most likely took away from the group conferences are the ideas that everyone gave me. It is easy to suggest ideas, but what people told me really helped me. I know that my paper is kind of all around, but with their suggestions and their help I was able to help bring my paper back to life and kind of get a better sense of what I needed to do. I wrote down all of the ideas that others told me at the conferences and then when doing my essay over, I used what they said to help me build a stronger paper. Overall, I believe that group conferences are helpful to the extent of being able to get a better sense of what others want to see in my paper, which will help me provide a better paper in the end.

No comments: