Monday, February 16, 2009

Choice and thoughts on Rough Draft

When looking at my rough draft for my first essay there are certain ways and different styles I chose to use when writing. One of the things that I tend to do is start off with is by stating the problem. In this case the perspective of technology by both Vonnegut and Vicente. After stating that basic problem I like to start off with one of the authors and their points and ideas of technology. After I have done that I like to go and state certain parts that I noticed that were intriguing to myself and also to the general audience. I reflect upon that and like to state a question with a possible answer. This answer of course is of opinion because I am not the only one who is reading the essay. After doing one of the pieces I move on to the second piece and do the same exact thing with that text.

After I have finished doing that I decide to compare and contrast both pieces. I find statements or ideas, which seem similar and put a few thoughts and words on that together. After which I put in my opinion on both pieces and authors. Then I usually go back through and look for statements or areas, which might seem a bit contradictory to what I had stated before. Many times I like to look for loopholes which people are able to break my paper and argument into. I believe that doing this really helps you have a firm stance and grip on your ideas, which makes it easier to defend when being questioned about it.

When I have others review my paper online, it seems for some reason to be much more helpful. I think that it is the fact that they can always go back to it and have more suggestions. Also, we have the opportunity for more people to read it and give their opinions. Some opinions may be repeated, but it may be a sign that it might be a universal problem with the paper. Also with the reviewing on blogs, there are many more ways to make your paper even better than what you originally had. What I mean is that, with the opportunity to see others papers, you can get a sense of what might be able to fit in well with yours and be able to use that to make yours stronger. Being able to use this as a benefit helps out not just me, but the entire class because we can see what others have done, and use for ours now and for future use.

Going from the academic papers to the blogs was an interesting step. I used it in English 101 back in the fall semester, and I honestly really preferred to use this over the paper revisions. It just is helpful because so many more people can look at your paper and make comments, and I like I said before you can look at everyone’s and see what they have that might be helpful and useful to your own paper.

No comments: